We are so excited to introduce our newest series “Guide to Indy.” We will be chatting with local artists, writers, bloggers and artisans about some of their favorite places in Indy! We had to start with the one and only Truen Jaimes, the man behind House of 5th brand. Leather goods are his specialty and bringing innovative design to his products, is his passion. This is Truen Jaimes Guide to Indy!
1.What part of Indy do you live in? Near East side of downtown.
2. What is our cities “hidden gem”? Our arts & design community. It has been growing for years & I’m happy to start seeing so many of them get recognition on a national level.
3. What is your favorite restaurant? It changes seasonally, but I’m currently obsessed with Tinker Street. It is a tiny spot downtown with a Manhattan vibe.
4. Where is your favorite place to take an out-of-town guest? I love brunch, but rarely take the time to go. When friends are in town I like to take them to Cafe Patachou & shop at local boutiques.
5. Where is the best place to grab a cocktail? I love the views, art & vibes at Plat 99 inside the Alexander Hotel, but if I’m going for flavor I’m most likely to swing by Tini’s on Mass Ave. to get a gummy bear martini.
6. Where is a great place to pick up a unique gift? I love shopping local so when I’m short on time I run by my sister’s boutique, Little Green Bean Boutique, a kids shop, but she has a lot of locally made gift items too. If I have a little time to drive & browse I like Haus Love. I also like gifting the local packs from Just Pop In popcorn.
7. Where can you get the best cup of coffee? I spent a lot of my childhood in England or the south so I’m totally a tea guy. However, I recently fell for something I think is called the alchemist at Quills.
8. What is your favorite part about living in Indy? The community & growth. I’ve seen so much growth at every corner for years.
9. Who is your favorite Indy based artist, designer, writer, or blogger? I’m a big fan of architectural features in a home/building & love Christopher Stuart’s work from Luur Design.
10. What would you like to see next for our city? I think we’re making strides, but I’d love to see more of the big commercial dollars get spent on innovative & original new businesses. The kind of new businesses that give Indy even stronger identity. I think we have a tendency to see a froyo or micro beer trend & then saturate the market with mirrored businesses. I’ve already started seeing the froyo craze die down & places go out of business…an empty space is rarely good for the entire community.
Website: http://www.houseof5th.com / Instagram: @houseof5th / Twitter: @houseof5th
We hope this inspires you to try new experiences in our little slice of the mid west! xoxoxo – Preppy Girl and Truen Jaimes